In preparation for festive celebrations and gatherings, D-Link offers the following tips to supercharge your home network this holiday season:
- The router is the gateway to your smart home: Aging routers, or those provided by Internet Service Providers (ISPs), do not always deliver the strongest performance – especially as households add more connected devices. To improve home Wi-Fi, consider upgrading to a router designed to provide maximum performance for gaming and streaming HD media. The D-Link EXO router (Dir-869) router is equipped with advanced beam forming and band steering technology to create a high-performance wireless network designed to handle bandwidth intensive activities on multiple devices all at the same time.
- Location of your router is key: Have you ever tried to stream your favourite TV shows in bed, but been annoyed by poor Wi-Fi signals? Position the wireless router strategically to ensure it’s operating at its full potential to enjoy a tech friendly holiday. Tips include:
- Keep it central – placing your router in the most central location as possible is a key consideration. Consider mounting the router on a wall, in a corner by the ceiling, or upstairs since radio waves typically spread out towards the ground.
- Reconfigure the antenna – Positioning the router’s antenna vertically for the signal to reach wide, so the antenna is standing straight up. Many antennas can be adjusted and lie horizontally, but standing straight up is generally the ideal position.
- Wireless interference – Household items like Bluetooth devices, microwaves, TVs, and cordless phones are pumping out radio signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi network signals. If you have to put a router next to a microwave, upgrading to a dual-band router like the D-Link AC1900 Wi-Fi router provides the ability to connect devices to the standard 2.4GHz band or less crowded 5GHz band, decreasing interference.
- Eliminating Dead Zones: Wireless dead zones have been around as long as Wi-Fi routers, especially in large homes. With the push of a button, the N300 Wi-Fi range extender (DAP-1365) grabs a router’s Wi-Fi connection and sends it to every corner of the increasingly connected home. The DAP-1365 also features a Smart Signal Indicator to help find the best location for optimal Wi-Fi coverage throughout the home.
- Creating a guest Wi-Fi network: The last thing hosts’ want is guests bothering you all night for your Wi-Fi password. Instead, create a Guest Network that allows visitors to connect to a dedicated Wi-Fi network without affecting the devices on your private home network.
To alleviate Wi-Fi dead zones and buffering headaches, D-Link is giving away home networking gear to help people stay connected this holiday season.
- D-Link Dir-890L ULTRA router – (Inc. VAT) £307.99
- D-Link Dir-869 EXO router – (Inc. VAT) £137.99
- D-Link Dir-879 EXO router – (Inc. VAT) £184.99